Allow This Webpage to access your Clipboard Pop-Up Warning Message in IE7
Posted by Vakul Kumar More on December 20, 2007
I was registering on a web-site (Secured) and suddenly to my surprise I had a pop-up on my screen(Allow this Webpage to access your clipboard). I was bit puzzled and closed the form and tried to enter again and the popup was repeatedly bugging me and I was forced to search the solution in BIG BROTHER search (Google) and was surprised to find that this is one of the enhanced and tightened security features that have been incorporated into IE7.
My Digital Life came to my rescue with all the information needed to disable and use the feature to safeguard my browser.
This security feature can be disabled. To disable the pop up warning message about possible harmful or unauthorized Clipboard access, follow the steps below:
- Go to Tools -> Internet Options.
- Go to Security tab.
- Select “Internet” zone, then click on “Custom level…” button.
- Scroll down to “Scripting” section (at the bottom few).
- Under “Allow Programmatic clipboard access” option, check or select (tick) Enable. Default action for this option is Prompt, which cause the pop-up message whenever there is any attempt to access the Clipboard.
- Click Ok twice to exit from Internet Options.
Changing the preference to Enable for “Allow Programmatic clipboard access” option can increase security risk. You can set it to Disable to disallow all website’s access to Clipboard’s resident data. However, the better and more secure alternative is to edit the “Allow Programmatic clipboard access” setting for “Trusted sites” zone (steps same as above, only that you select “Trusted sites” in step 3 instead of “Internet”), and add the websites that you trusted and selected into Trusted sites zone.
Thanks to My Digital Life for the post.